Filing your 1040? These three tax breaks are up in the air

Kaeding expects Congress to address the extenders in an upcoming government funding bill.

Taxpayers could be in for a headache if Congress doesn’t renew the tax breaks.

“You can’t claim the extenders if they aren’t passed,” said Kathy Pickering, executive director of The Tax Institute at H&R Block. Sure enough, the 2018 individual income tax return — Form 1040 — doesn’t have any line items for the extenders.

If Congress were to pass a measure allowing the breaks for 2018, the IRS would have to revise the 1040 and tax prep software providers will have to update their programs to reflect it, said Kaeding.